CoJ Case 005
DB vs Selket was the fifth case tried by the Chamber of Justice. The sitting Justicar was Keirdagh Taldrya Cantor, the Left Hand of Justice was Muz Ashen Keibatsu, and the Right Hand of Justice was Spears Tarentae.
Basic Case Information
- Selket KuroHyo Satal
- Abuse of Power
- Dereliction of Duty
- Disreputable Behavior
- Guilty of Disreputable Behavior
- Demotion from Krath Pontifex to Krath Archpriest
- Official Letter of Reprimand
- Prohibited from positional appointments until December 20, 2005
Clan Plagueis was formed by merging two older clans, Clan Satal Keto and Clan Exar Kun. The Grand Master had determined this benefit the entire Brotherhood, because the club was overstretched with seven clans. Selket was Consul of Clan Satal Keto when the two clans were merged, and she did not support this merger. In fact, she openly opposed the merger, and many members began to complain that she was contacting them privately, attempting to get them to leave the new clan in protest. These complaints came to the Justicar, and he charged Selket with Abuse of Power, Dereliction of Duty, and Disreputable Behavior. A jury was assembled and arguments were presented, and the jury found Selket not guilty of Abuse of Power or Dereliction of Duty, but guilty of Disreputable Behavior. She was demoted one rank, given an Official Letter of Reprimand, prohibited from holding leadership positions for a set period of time, and given three months probation.
Related News Posts
News Post #1
Posted By Keirdagh Taldrya Cantor - 6/9/2005
As of Friday last week, I acted in my capacity as Justicar of the Dark Brotherhood, and served Epis Selket KuroHyo Entar-Satal notice of impending Chamber proceedings being lodged against her. As of her most recent Communication, these proceedings are now underway. As always, there will be no advanced notice of the charges being laid against her until the trial is complete.
Be forewarned, that Selket, while on trial is on official ban from all official Brotherhood channels of communication. This includes mailing lists, IRC (#DB, Order Channels, and #GMRG), and Message Boards. If you see her utilizing any of these methods of communication, please inform me immediately.
Please note, that a trial does not mean a conviction, there has merely been enough evidence presented to me to warrant a trial by her peers. Therefore no harassment of Selket will be permitted. Additionally, 20 members above the rank of Dark Jedi Knight will be receiving a Jury Duty Summons. After a jury is selected, the trial will proceed. If all goes well, you should have the results of this trial in two weeks time.
Yours in Justice,
Dark Jedi Master Keirdagh Taldrya Cantor
News Post #2
Posted By Keirdagh Taldrya Cantor - 9/20/2005
Results of the Brotherhood vs. Selket KuroHyo Entar-Satal
1) On the charge and specification of Abuse of Power, this Chamber & your peers find it proper to dismiss the charges against you, due to insufficient evidence for conviction.
2) On the charge and specification of Dereliction of Duty, this Chamber & your peers find it proper to dismiss the charges against you, due to insufficient evidence for conviction.
3) On the charge and specification of Disreputable Behaviour, this Chamber & your peers find you guilty as charged.
As sentencing for the charge of Disreputable Behaviour, this Chamber finds it necessary to issue the following sanctions against you.
- Demotion of One Rank to the Rank of Krath Archpriestess.
- An Official Letter of Reprimand listing your offenses against the brotherhood.
- Probation for a 3 month period, where you will be prohibited from receiving a leadership position within the Brotherhood.
With that, I find this trial to be concluded, and close this session of the Chamber of Justice.
Master Keirdagh Taldrya Cantor,
- At this point in Chamber history, the Justicar did not issue opinions on cases.
Points of Interest
This was only the second jury trial in the history of the Chamber, and the first time in which a jury found a defendant not guilty on several charges. By this point, the Right Hand of Justice had been established as the prosecutor, and the Left Hand as the default defense counsel. In this case, the Left Hand of Justice did serve as the defense counsel, instead of "private" counsel assisting the defendant as often happens today.