The United Corporations of Elaya
|United Corporations of Elaya|
|Head of State:||
Chairman Getris Retpay
|Date of Establishment:||
|[ Source ]|
The United Corporations of Elaya (UCE) was once a city of the Republic, but an alliance of powerful companies negotiated secession due to the president’s favouring of people’s welfare over business output. Ruled by businesses, for businesses, the UCE hold only a single city, but it is a densely packed metropolis of high rise buildings. Despite their small territory, they are untouchable due to their advanced economy, driven by science and technology manufacture, as well as financial services. The city itself is the largest, densest, richest, and most populous on Seraph, with 50 million people living on the island off the west coast of Elaya.
While the Galactic Civil War ravaged the galaxy, Elaya was a prosperous, liberal haven, a land where the leaders placed freedom and quality of life above all else. However, discontent grew among the owners of powerful businesses, who began to see tightening worker protection laws and the increasing power of government-sponsored trade unions as a threat to their productivity and profits. Together, in 2 ABY, a coalition of businesses, the United Corporations of Elaya, pooled their wealth and purchased Sailyo, an island city off the west coast.
Sailyo became a city ran with economic output at the heart of everything, and as a result has accumulated incredible wealth. Strong in the scientific industry, the manufacturing of innovative technology, and financial services, the independent city established itself as a valued trade partner of all 4 other countries on the planet. The name Sailyo eventually fell out of use, as the UCE began to be used to refer to the city itself.
UCE territory consists of a single city on a small island off the coast of the Elaya. The physical geography of this island is irrelevant as it is completely covered by the metropolis.
Ruled by businesses, for businesses, the UCE is a densely packed metropolis of high rise buildings. Despite their small territory, they are untouchable due to their advanced economy, driven by science and technology manufacture, as well as financial services. The city itself is the largest, densest, richest, and most populous on Seraph, with 50 million people living on the island off the west coast of Elaya.
In contrast to its tiny territory on Seraph, the UCE controls two continents of Seraph, purchased in hard cash from Meraxis. Located in the northern hemisphere of the moon, Sharnelle is of a medium size for the land masses on the planet. The most notable feature is its large lake, Vivverna. To the north west of the lake is the snow capped Guath mountain range. Around Vivverna is a large plains area, frequently subjected to thin layers of frost, depending on Ragnath’s orbit around Seraph. East of Vivverna is another small mountain range, making passage the eastern peninsula of Meratille difficult by foot. While there is a collection of small villages throughout the continent, the biggest city, Ryax, is located on the south west edge of the Meratille peninsula. Ryax is the third largest city on the moon.
Located just to the south east of Sharnelle is the continent of Quelabon. It sits right on the equator of the moon and has a central land mass with three large 'arms2' branching out from it. Tall mountain peaks stretch along its central body, and eastern arms are sharply shaped by erosion due to the frequent snowfall and melting of the rapid changing seasons on the moon. Its lower flatlands are covered in thick jungle along its main body, giving away to more arid desert along its southern arm. It has been quarantined for years, since before the UCE purchased it from Meraxis, for reasons unknown to the citizens of Caperion. Parties who have attempted to venture onto the continent unauthorized have never returned.
The Entrepreneurial Leader of the United Corporations of Elaya
- Name: Getris Retpay
- Title: Chairman
- Species: Human
- Age: 52
- Gender: Male
- Discipline: Director
Chairman Retpay was born to the wealthy owner of a bank in the early days of the UCE’s split from the Republic. Money is everything to Retpay, and economic success is the only kind of success that matters. His style of leadership is formal, technical, yet often seen as dull, speaking only of statistics and results. Shortly after the age of 18, he grew his own insurance company, backed by his parents money, and quickly grew his own empire in financial services. As per the principles the UCE was founded on, Retpay runs the country as a company, favouring business success over the happiness of the workers. The moral and ethical considerations of trade are irrelevant compared to economic gain, and as such Retpay is happy to conduct business with Meraxis or Clan Scholae Palatinae for the right price.
Allies and Enemies
- As the UCE will trade with anyone who can ensure a profit for themselves, they enter no formal alliances.
- Meraxis - The UCE is the only faction on Seraph that does not consider Meraxis an enemy. Being the only nation that will conduct trade deals with Meraxis puts the UCE in a position where the empire are completely dependant on them, which they are keen to exploit.
- Clan Scholae Palatinae - Scholae Palatinae have quickly worked out that the UCE are the true dominant power on Seraph, but Elincia Rei's attempts at establishing a trade deal have been rebuked, as the foreign power does not represent stability, as opposed to Meraxis, who are a known entity.
- Nayama - Nayama and the UCE maintain a healthy trade partnership based on scale trading of high quality raw materials for use in Nayaman crafts and the popularity of these products among the wealthy UCE people.
- Elaya - While there was once a sense of bitterness over the thriving city declaring independence and going alone, Elaya are the UCE's most common trading partner, due to the links between them and relatively short geographical distance.
- TRF - Little interaction really takes place between the TRF and the UCE, as there is little they can offer each other.
- Due to the wealth that the UCE control, no nation of Seraph dares declare war on the UCE