Star Wars Terminology: Creatures
In a Galaxy far, far away, there is room for a wide range of living creatures that populate the various star systems and planets. These can vary from things small and cute as the Loth-cat, to large and scary as the infamous Rancors. Below is an overview of creatures and animals that appear in Star Wars canon for reference to use in your writing.
Similies are a figure of speech involving the comparison of one thing with another thing of a different kind, used to make a description more emphatic or vivid. In fiction writing, it’s a very easy way to help your reader visualize the image you’re describing by relating to an image that pre-exists in their mind.
When doing this in star wars, however, you need to both reference creatures that exist in that universe, but also make it plain or recognizable enough for someone who might not be familiar with Star Wars. The balance is yours to find as a writer, but hopefully these examples will assist with providing a beginners basis.
- “That woman was tough as a Rancor!”
- “That man was quick as a Nexu.”
- “The sound was as loud as a Krayt dragon’s screeching.”
- “I followed the Undesirable’s tracks like an Akk dog on a blood trail.”
- “She tiptoed nimbly along the side-railing like a loth-cat.”